Celia Veiga Pérez has a BA in Foreign Languages with a specialisation in English Linguistics (2015) and an MA in Secondary Education with specialisation in English Language and Literature Studies (2016), both from the University of Vigo.
For her BA dissertation, entitled "The Acquisition of Pronunciation in English as a Second Language: A Cross-Sectional Study", she studied how 15-year-old Spanish students of English perceived and produced two pairs of vocalic and consonant phonemes (supervisor: Dr. María Rosa Alonso Alonso, University of Vigo).
In her PhD dissertation she investigates the role of year-abroad studies in Second Language Acquisition, with a focus on Spanish university students and their development of oral skills in the English language. More specifically, she analyses oral accuracy and pronunciation with regard to English vowel phonemes. She is working under the supervision of Dr. Nuria Yáñez Bouza (University of Vigo) and Prof. María del Pilar García Mayo (University of the Basque Country).
- (2018) The Teaching of Pronunciation in Textbooks of English as an L2: A Case Study with 15-Year-Old Spanish Students. Proceedings of the 38th AEDEAN Conference, 307-318
- (2017) Spanish Teenager's Pronunciation of English as a Second Language. Revista de Educación de la Universidad de Granada, 24: 273-292.
"Difficulties for Spanish speakers in the pronunciation of English". Ciclo de Conferencias 2019: Investigación y Enseñanza de Lenguas. Benemérita Universidad Autónoma de Puebla, México, 28-30 October.
"The learning context and the acquisition of listening skills: A case study with Spanish university students". IDAES (Interuniversity Doctoral Programme in Advanced English Studies) Graduate Day 2019. University of Santiago de Compostela, Spain, 3 May.
"Does a study abroad period have an impact on the perception of English vowel sounds?". 36th International AESLA Conference. University of Valladolid, Spain, 27-29 March.
"The perception of English vowel sounds in Spanish native university students". 36th International AESLA Conference. University of Cádiz, Spain, 19-21 April.
"The teaching of pronunciation in textbooks of English as an L2: A case study of 15-year-old Spanish students". 41st AEDEAN Conference. University of La Laguna, Spain, 8-10 November.
"Spanish teenager's pronunciation of English as a Second Language". IX Coloquio Internacional sobre Investigación en Lenguas Extranjeras. University of Granada, Spain, 21-23 June.
"The role of year-abroad studies in Second Language Acquisition: The development of oral skills in Spanish students of English". IDAES (Interuniversity Doctoral Programme in Advanced English Studies) Graduate Day 2017. University of A Coruña, Spain, 30 May.
RESEARCH STUDY VISITS
- 2019 One-month research stay at the Euskal Herriko Unibertsitatea (Spain) under the supervision of Prof. Mª del Pilar García Mayo
- 2018 One-month research stay at the Universitat Pompeu Fabra (Spain) under the supervision of Prof. Carmen Pérez Vidal
She has taught and collaborated in the following modules:
- (2017-2020) Acquisition and learning of the first foreign language: English (3rd year, Degree in Foreign languages)
- (2018-2019) English for International Negotiation (3rd year, Degree in Commerce)
- (2018) Business English (Master's Degree in International Commerce)